The local design review panel for Malvern Hills district is raising its game and needs new members.
The Malvern Hills Local Design Review Panel (MHLDRP) will be the successor to the Malvern Hills Panel of Architects. The Panel of Architects has for the past 6 years years provided support to Planning Services at Malvern Hills District Council to help assess planning applications. In response to the National Planning Policy Framework, the District Council is now looking to enhance its local design review arrangements to make them more broad-based, transparent and accountable. With the help of MADE, who operate the regional design review service the Council intend to:
· expand the range of disciplines on the panel to include other areas of expertise in the built environment (landscape architecture, urban design, engineering, transport planning, sustainability);
· for a trial period engage a group of independent chairs for the panel drawn from MADE’s expert panel;
· for the first time, allow scheme proposers (developers and/or their design teams) to present their proposals in person to the panel and receive feedback from it;
· draw up protocols as to when MHLDRP and the MADE panel is used in Malvern Hills.
This is a significant step forward for local design review in Malvern Hills and a sign of the District Council’s commitment to design quality in the area.
The role of the MHLDRP will be to critique proposals for development in the Malvern Hills District at a pre- application and planning application stage. The aim it to give expert feedback which will improve the quality of schemes and provide advice to the District Council to help with pre-application negotiations, the determination of applications and the setting of conditions.
We are now seeking to recruit new members for the MHLDRP. Panel members are not remunerated. The benefits of joining the panel are:
· an opportunity to contribute to enhancing design quality in Malvern Hills District.
· the prestige of being selected for the Panel. Something to mention on your website and CV.
· an excellent learning opportunity (which some professional bodies will recognise as CPD) and an opportunity to network and keep abreast of development within the district.
Applicants for the panel should have a proven record of achievement in their field and at least 5 years’ relevant experience. Existing members of the Malvern Hills Panel of Architects will be invited to continue on the new panel. Although applicants will be welcome from architects we are looking to expand the panel beyond the architecture profession. Applicants do not need to live or work in Malvern Hills District.
To apply please submit your CV together with a short letter outlining why you want to join the panel by email to David Tittle at MADE. The closing date for applications is 29th October 2012.
Successful applicants will be invited to a short induction event.
This initiative is being supported by DCLG through Design Council Cabe as part of a programme of support to national and local design review through England.